Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Huh.

How am I so strongly affected by this webcomic I read?

Just yesterday, probably around 4:00 A.M., I finished it. The last few seconds of the video on the page ended, and I flipped to the very last page, which read "THE END". I remember feeling overwhelmed as I moved closer and closer to this particular page. Finally I was there, and I read the two words over and over before I burst into tears.

Now normally, after spending several months reading an 8,000 page comic, you'd think that it would be logical to get at least a little misty-eyed on the very last page. However, I am actually rather confused about the way I reacted. There are two reasons why:


  1. To be honest, I didn't understand or remember much from the beginning of the story when I got close to the end. This was probably due to the length of the story, the concepts, and the fact that I took a few very large breaks in-between. This left me asking several questions about many of the references to the older pages and to the special terms used.
  2. I remember spoiling a good portion of the comic for myself. I had heard about it on YouTube, where I spend a good portion of my day. As soon as I saw the first video (which contained far too many spoilers as it is), I immediately searched for more. By the time I had finally decided to read it, more than a quarter was probably already spoiled for me. I knew every single character I would encounter while reading, and all of their personalities, too. This doesn't seem like a very bad thing, but when you think about it, it kinda ruins the fun. Surprises are no longer surprises, and most things are far less exciting.
Even though I don't feel that I should be feeling this emotional when I think about the comic, I still enjoyed the story. I actually loved it. I am rereading it now to help myself to better understand and remember the things I didn't before. I also cannot stop listening to a particular song, which reminds me greatly of the webcomic. Every time I hear it, I immediately start thinking of all of the events that I can remember from the story. I usually end up crying a little bit at the end, too. I continue to wonder why I do that, but I'm really not complaining. The entire story was so fun and I do believe that it changed me (even considering the reasons that it shouldn't have). 

No comments: